Skip to main content

Codebreaker badge- Researching ciphers and history of codebreaking

 Enigma:- the code was changed daily and was cracked using a machine. 

ADFGVX:- These cipher text sound different from each other when used in morse code. This is to reduce user error. This method uses a 6 x 6 polybius square. 

Playfair:- The alphabet is written in a diagram- but excluding J as the diagram is a 5x5 square. J is replaced by I. The text is split into pairs- if it's odd numbered then a z is added to the end. 

Book Cipher:- I like the book cipher. You both need the same book and would send numbers for the pages, line in the book etc. to form the message. 

Vigenere Cipher:- Uses a series of a different Caesar Ciphers. 

Caesar Cipher:- Letters are shifted a certain number of spaces.... so a becomes d. 

Homophonic Cipher:- The plaintext is replaced multiple different cipher text letters. 


During World War 2, the Enigma machine was cracked by a group of code-breakers led by Alan Turing at Bletchley Park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Rebel Journey- Introduction

 Hello Everyone,  I'm Rebecca. Or Becki. And this is the first entry to my new blog which will be following my journey on the rebel path.  I recently purchased volume one of the Rebel Merit book and joined the Facebook group which has already been insightful and exciting. So whilst I wait for the physical arrival of the book, I wanted to start my journey with tasks towards my first badge- the Halloween badge, and to document everything via a good old fashioned blog.  There is a list of clauses/tasks to complete over the month of October. At least 8 of the 16, and you can also apparently mix and match from last year too if you want. These are the tasks I have decided to do... Make apple or vegetable crisps Learn about the teal pumpkin project Make an autumn-themed wreath See how many visibly different coloured leaves you can find Write a spooky story Do a clause from last years list which you haven't done yet  Research the origins of Halloween (2022) Watch a scary or spooky movi

Reader badge- Writing a review

 I have just finished reading Tom Felton's autobiography 'Beyond the Wand'. It was unlike any other biography I have read in the past. This felt very much like sitting down with a friend and talking about stories of their life, their career, their loves.  As a filmmaker, I appreciated all the behind the scenes stories from his life on set of Harry Potter, as well as his progression afterwards. But as a human being, I appreciated the raw honesty within the writing, especially the final chapters where he discusses his mental health decline. The words were delicately chosen and hit home, enough to bring a tear to my eye.  I would 100% recommend this book.